Saturday, June 15, 2013

Time to talk about Sexual Intimacy. I mean really talk about it.

Sexual intimacy. Yup, I said it. Now what? Do we blush, cringe, shy away, awkwardly change the subject? No. We talk about it like adults. In two of my classes this week we talked about sexual intimacy and sex education in the public school system. My roommates and I like to bring what we learn at school home and share it with each other, so I came home and talked with my apartment family about sexual intimacy within marriage A young man in my ward came over and became a part of our discussion. It wasn't awkward because we didn't make it awkward. It was a helpful conversation in which everyone contributed their own ideas and we answered each others' questions using doctrine. It was a very good talk that I believe people need to have before marriage. I do not believe in silence about sex. It can definitely be over-discussed and wrongly discussed, but if parents don't teach their children the appropriate way to discuss intimacy then they will surely learn the inappropriate ways from the media or peers.
Something that struck me this week is that I can teach my children about sexual intimacy along with the Holy Temple (of my LDS faith). Both are wonderful things that will help us become eternally happy, things we really do need at the appropriate times, and things we must wait for. This epiphany helped change my perspective on parenting and teaching and went along with the saying I once heard: "Sex isn't something to avoid because it's bad; it is something to wait for because it is so good."

No comments:

Post a Comment